I still remember the day the letter came from the developer stating that I can come and collect the keys for the first house my husband and I bought. It's easy to remember because I was very excited to begin the next phase of the journey.
The first phase was filled with lots of paperwork which started nearly two years before when we signed the agreement to buy the house. To me and maybe many of you out there, the second phase of owning a home is the most exciting of all as it involves renovating and decorating. But at the same time, I was also filled with a daunting feeling of embarking on the big project of home renovation and decoration. I am pretty sure many of you, first-time home owners, out there are also feeling the same way.
Where do you start? What must be done first, the iron grilles or electrical wiring? How do you decorate the house, traditional, classical or modern style? Will you have enough money? All these question must be stirring up in your head. Even so, do not worry and get all riled up. Let me help you through this process.
Based on my experience, the best way to start renovating and decorating your home is by having a clear plan of what is to be done. So sit down, with a pen and paper, and start planning.
- List down the all things that needs to be done to the house starting from the exterior, including the lawn and backyard, followed by the interior of the house, room by room.
- Then go through the list again but this time prioritise, i.e. which item is the most urgent and which can wait. This will help you to plan your work and also your budget.
- installation of window and door grilles
- backyard renovations for wet kitchen
- electrical re-wiring for additional lighting, fan or socket points, including installation of an electric gate and/or home security system for some people
- installation of plaster ceiling (if budget permits)
- painting of walls
- installation of lights and fans
- adding furniture and kitchen cabinets
- adding other soft furnishing like curtains and wall decorations
- planting grass and landcaping for the garden
Start Your Research Here
Once your list is completed, do some research for each item that needs to be done to the house in terms of options available, advantages, disadvantages and costs. This will help to determine the individual budget for each item. Apart from budget, your lifestyle and those whom you live with will also influence your choice for each of the items listed. There are many online forums available to help you with this. But look no further.
It is my privilage to present you with this website to help first time owners during their journey of home renovation and decoration. So stay tuned for more information on MyHomeMyIdeas.com.
**Credit: Picture by PlusVerde available from stock.xchng